When you buy a homeowners insurance policy, it also insures you against certain home liabilities. The home liability insurance cover is one of the most important component of the homeowners insurance, and covers you in case of any accidents that happens at your home. For example, if a guest slips from your stairs and is injured then you may be held responsible for their medical expenses. Personal liability coverage in a Homeowners insurance policy protects you from paying such amounts.
Here are some of the items that are covered under your home liability insurance:
- Medical Expenses – When a visitor or a guest is injured inside your home, liability coverage helps you pay medical bills pertaining to the injury.
- Compensation for Pain and Suffering – When a person is injured in your home, then besides medical bills you can be held responsible for any pain and suffering endured by the injured. Liability coverage helps pay for such unforeseen expenses.
- Lost Wages – You may also be held liable for the loss of wages to the person as a result of the injury occurring in your home. Here too, liability coverage covers you from paying the expenses from your pocket.
- Death Compensation – It can be a nightmare in case someone meets with a fatal accident in your house. Your home liability policy may cover these expenses to a certain limit.
- Legal Expenses – Liability coverage covers your legal expenses in hiring a lawyer in case you are sued due to an accident inside your premises. This is irrespective of whether or not you are responsible for the accident.
- Liability Coverage When Away From Home – Liability coverage also covers damages that happen when you’re away from home. For example, if during your stay you damage h a hotel property by accident, then this coverage helps you if the hotel company seeks reimbursement for damages.